Educational Workshop - June 7, 2013!

Here is where we post UNYOUG events. The latest three entries show up on the right side of the main page for registration.
sam
Site Admin

Educational Workshop - June 7, 2013!

Post by sam »

UNYOUG Event
Friday, June 7, 2013

Buffalo State College
Bulger Communication Center East 2
1300 Elmwood Avenue
Buffalo NY 14222

Area Map: http://www.buffalostate.edu/pdf/campusmap.pdf

Presentations:

OBIEE 11.1.1.7
Vic Stewart, Oracle

Big Data Analytics in Service Computing
Qi Yu, RIT

Oracle on Flash: What Matters (and What Doesn't)
Chas. Dye, Pure Storage

Modernize Enterprise Reporting on a Budget
Kevin Budziszewski, TOGS

Agenda:

8:30 - 9:00 Registration and Networking, Continental Breakfast

9:00 - 9:15 Welcome

9:15 - 10:15 OBIEE 11.1.1.7

10:15 - 10:30 Break

10:30 - 11:30 Big Data Analytics in Service Computing

11:30 - 12:30 Lunch

12:30 - 12:45 UNYOUG Business

12:45 - 1:45 Oracle on Flash: What Matters (and What Doesn't)

1:45 - 2:00 Break

2:00 - 3:00 Modernize Enterprise Reporting on a Budget

3:00 - Raffles, wrap-up

A continental breakfast and lunch is provided. We need a count of persons attending to properly plan for this event. If you are planning to attend, please pre-register for the meeting here: http://www.unyoug.com/register.php.

Membership & Fees:
UNYOUG membership is $20 per year. The event fee for non-members is $10.
* Fees are waived for those between jobs! *

Thanks!
sam
Site Admin

Post by sam »

Chas. Dye, Pure Storage

Over the years, DBAs and System Administrators have developed scores of best practices around optimizing oracle on spinning disks -- block size, stripe size, lun management, RAID levels, Allocation Units, etc.

As flash storage emerges as an alternative or even replacement for spinning disks, the rules are different. In this presentation we examine how flash works, which best practices irrelevant in flash, and what new rules are important, and why.

Chas. Dye is the Database Solutions Architect at Pure Storage in Mountain View, California. He has been an Oracle DBA since version 5, and is the author of Oracle Distributed Systems published by O'Reilly Media.
sam
Site Admin

Post by sam »

Kevin Budziszewski, TOGS

A bit about me…
Graduated from UB 1992, BS is CS and BS in Math.
Been an Oracle technical resource since 1992 including 6 years as an employee of Oracle
I am a published author on the subject of Oracle development.

I am currently independently consulting in Rochester for a long term health care company. I am the lead architect for modernizing their home grown application that is written Developer 6.0 forms and reports. The database is 8i. We found that modernization paths suggested by Oracle where cost prohibitive, especially for our reporting needs. Instead I have developed a reporting architecture that uses open source software and leverages the PL/SQL skills of the existing development team.

The big key to this solution is to take an existing oracle RDF and separate the data model from the presentation. We transform the RDF into a stored PL/SQL package that produces structured XML for the report data. The xml output of the stored pl/sql can be then used in any number of publishing solutions. Next we are using a WYSIWYG XLST designer along with the report XML to create an XLST to be used with…
Apache FOP. The XSLT and XML are put together to produce PDF output.

In a nut shell, this is a method for getting a reporting solution similar to Oracle’s BI Publisher. Where it differs is that there are no licensing costs and can leverage business and PL/SQL skills of existing resources.
sam
Site Admin

Big Data Analytics In Service Computing

Post by sam »

Big Data Analytics In Service Computing
Qi Yu

As massive-scale data has become ubiquitous and cheap, “Big Data Analytics” is gaining momentum as a new computing paradigm to analyze large-scale datasets and discover interesting patterns from them. This talk will focus on applying Big Data analytics to the field of service computing. In particular, I will discuss a novel technique that addresses the scalability issue in service clustering, aiming to discover service communities over very large-scale services. A key observation is that service descriptions are usually represented by long but very sparse term vectors as each service is only described by a limited number of terms. This inspires us to seek a new service representation that is economical to store, efficient to process, and intuitive to interpret. This new representation enables service clustering to scale to massive number of services. More specifically, a set of anchor services are identified that allow to represent each service as a linear combination of a small number of anchor services. In this way, the large number of services are encoded with a much more compact anchor service space. Extensive experiments are conducted on real-world service data to assess both the effectiveness and efficiency of the proposed approach. I will also discuss some of my other ongoing research in the area of Big Data Analytics in service computing. I will briefly go over the Big Data Analytics Conference to be held at RIT in January 2014 at the end of the talk.

Qi Yu received the PhD degree in computer science from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech). He is an assistant professor at the Department of Information Sciences and Technologies of Rochester Institute of Technology. His current research interests lie in the areas of service computing and data analytics. His publications have mainly appeared in top-tier journals in data management and service computing (e.g. the VLDB journal, IEEE TKDE, ACM TWEB, IEEE TSC, and WWW journal) and conference proceedings (e.g., ICSOC and ICWS). He is a guest editor of the IEEE Transactions on Services Computing special issue on service query models and efficient selection. He frequently serves as a program committee member on service computing and database conferences (e.g., IEEE BigData, IEEE Cloud, WISE, SOCA, CollaborateCom, IRI, ICSOC, and APSCC). He is also a reviewer for various journals (e.g., the VLDB Journal, ACM TWEB, and ACM TOIT). He is a member of the IEEE.