Educational Workshop - May 18, 2017!

Here is where we post UNYOUG events. The latest three entries show up on the right side of the main page for registration.
sam
Site Admin

Educational Workshop - May 18, 2017!

Post by sam »

UNYOUG Educational Workshop Day
Thursday, May 18, 2017 9:00AM - 4:00PM (breakfast & registration start at 8:00AM)

Buffalo State College
Technology Building 160
1300 Elmwood Avenue
Buffalo NY 14222

Area Map: http://suny.buffalostate.edu/sites/suny ... pusmap.pdf

Oracle TimesTen Velocity Scale In-Memory Database
Doug Hood, Oracle

A Closer Look at Oracle Cloud
Sushil Motwani, Rolta AdvizeX

Oracle 12c New Features

Introduction to NoSQL/MongoDB
Mike Grayson, Paychex

**Free Parking, you will not need a pass. Please park in lots labeled R-12 on the map. Easy access!

A continental breakfast and lunch will be provided. We need a count of persons attending to properly plan for this event. If you are planning to attend, please pre-register for the meeting here: http://www.unyoug.com/register.php.

Membership & Fees:
UNYOUG membership is $20 per year. The event fee is $10 for non-members.
* Event Fees are always waived for those between jobs! *

Thanks!
sam
Site Admin

Post by sam »

Doug Hood, Oracle

Oracle TimesTen Velocity Scale In-Memory Database is a scale out, shared
nothing RDBMS with ACID transactions and supports SQL and PLSQL.

The following database performance assumptions are reviewed with
Velocity Scale as a counter example:

* Myth 1: You need a NoSQL DB to scale
* Myth 2: You need to abandon ACID transactions to scale
* Myth 3: You need to de-normalize [no joins] to scale
* Myth 4: You need to manually shard your DB to scale
* Myth 5: You need to re-write your apps to scale

An overview of Velocity Scale is presented along with some benchmarks
comparing Velocity Scale with leading SQL and NoSQL competitors and
ending with a demo.

Doug Hood, Oracle TimesTen Cloud Product Manager
I now live in the Cloud, but I used to do things like CICS, Tuxedo, CORBA, SOAP, sockets and REST.

I started using RDBMS with DEC Rdb/VMS and progressed to Oracle 5, 6, 7, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g and 12c. I fell in love with Oracle TimesTen In-Memory Database as it is a really fast, simple and highly available RDBMS.

I have worked as a consultant, developer and product manager at Oracle over the years. My technical interests are making things go fast [OCI, ODBC and PLSQL] and getting things to work together. I am a fan of Golang and I am looking for a good PowerPoint compiler ...
sam
Site Admin

Post by sam »

Cloud is the new buzzword in the IT industry. Many businesses have started using the "cloud" as their data center consolidation / application consolidation tool, but are not completely sure of the various options available from an IAAS, PAAS and SAAS offering. This presentation will give the customers a clearer understanding of the various cloud options specific to the Oracle Cloud, including Database Cloud Service, Backup to the Cloud, DR in the Cloud, keeping in mind that all customers cannot adopt the cloud and what options are available for such customers in their long-term goal planning. This presentation will be applicable to all customers who use Oracle as their database or any of the ERP systems like EBS, PeopleSoft etc. and what is the options available to keep themselves staying relevant in today's market.

Sushil has 24 years of experience as an Oracle Professional, especially on the Database Administration, Apps DBA technologies, Oracle Fusion Middleware Technologies and Business Intelligence Applications. He is an astute thought leader in Oracle; has published training material for Oracle University, and presented on multiple occasions at events such as Collaborate (Oracle Applications User Group), Oracle Open World, Oracle Health Sciences Conference. Sushil is actively involved with the OAUG and IOUG groups and presented at a number of SIGs (Special Interest Groups) at regional and national levels.

Sushil has worked at Oracle's Advanced Customer Services for 6+ years leading some of Oracle’s largest premier customers as a Technical Account Manager and at Harvard University as their Oracle and Microsoft SME.

Sushil has been married for 20 years to Pavitra and has two lovely daughters, Lakshita (15) and Dhriti (12). He lives with his family in the lovely town of Andover, MA.
sam
Site Admin

Oracle 12C New Features

Post by sam »

Oracle 12C New Features

Oracle 12c Release 1, has been around for over 3 years. Due to it's dramatic re-architecture, customers have been hesitant to adopt this release. Oracle 12c has several benefits that will be highlighted specifically to the multi-tenant architecture, disaster recovery, backup, patching, cloning and upgrading flexibility. The presentation will highlight the pain-points of earlier releases, and how 12c changes those pain points to no longer being a pain.
sam
Site Admin

Post by sam »

Mike Grayson, Paychex

This session will provide an introduction to NoSQL databases in general and MongoDB in specific. Application types for which NoSQL is ideally suited.

MongoDB is a free and open-source cross-platform document-oriented database program. Classified as a NoSQL database program, MongoDB uses JSON-like documents with flexible schemas.

Our speaker Mike Grayson will provide some examples of getting your project running with MongoDB. We'll discuss some issues you might encounter when choosing this new framework for your next project!

Mike Grayson is an official "MongoDB Master" and a Senior DBA at Paychex. Mike has been involved in many aspects of the MongoDB community since he started using the database in 2014 such as participating in the 3.2 Beta Testing for The Encrypted Storage Engine and MongoDB Compass as well as participating in the MongoDB Customer Advisory Board. Previously, Mike was Senior Database Engineer at Thomson Reuters, where he built and managed databases at a large scale. Even earlier, Mike worked at a local telecom company, Paetec where he first learned to build and manage databases. Mike enjoys watching soccer, playing video games and spending time with family.