Openworld 2010 impressions

Topics about Databases, Backups, Tuning, Architecture, Systems Management, etc etc.

bgrenn

Openworld 2010 impressions

Post by bgrenn »

Well, I'm back again after another crazy 4 days.  

The biggest highlight of my visit was the unconference.  I spent 2 sessions with Kevin Closson. The second session was mostly Oracle Oaktable members, so it was very insightful.

Big announcements that Caught my eye.

1)Exadata 2-8  Faster, and much bigger SGA

2) New version of OEL faster, and takes better advantage of Cores.

3) Exalogic.. Middle tier in a box.

So here is my list of Lessons learned to build upon last years list.

1) Go to the Blue bottle for coffee multiple times (best Coffee in SF).. It is only 2 blocks away.

2) Do not stay too far west down market Street.

3) Go to the unconference as much as you can, it's worth missing sessions for (they will be on-demand anyway).

4) Presenter, presenter, presenter.  I went with the presenter mantra (Richard Foote, Craig Shallahamer, Richard Niemec, Kevin Closson, Greg Rahn).. the sessions with "right" people gave me the most information.

5) It is possible to leave at 6:00 AM on Sunday, and still make the sessions at 12:30 PM. (american flight).

6) The first Redeye back leaves at 11:55 pm, and arrives in Rochester 9:34 am..  If you take it, there is a great breakfast place in the Chicago airport (Billy Goat by gate c19). Huge plate of Eggs, potatoes and toast for $5. Just what you need after an all night flight.

7) Sign up for sessions ASAP..  Going by my mantra in #4, the lines for my sessions were always the longest lines.  A good sign that I was doing something right.