APEX (application Express)

Topics about Databases, Backups, Tuning, Architecture, Systems Management, etc etc.

bgrenn

APEX (application Express)

Post by bgrenn »

If you aren't familiar with this free oracle tool, it's about time you learn about it!!  First of all it is free.. It is a web based tool you install in the database, in fact with 11g it's already built in.. you just set up the port for the webserver to listen to.

First question is why do I want to use it ?? Well, how often do you get the question from someone that they need a query run ?   How often does that person come back, and need it run again ?  Well this is where APEX comes in.. anytime I need to run a query for someone, I put it in APEX, along with formatted output, and a download button for a CSV file to download to excel.

It's a great tool to get all those pesky people off your back by having them run the query themselves without even having an account in the database .. Did I mention it does awesome graphing ?  Did I mention you can give them a date box to look at data based on date criterial or any other criterial ?

It is a great replacement for Access .. Did I mention it's free ?

If you haven't taken a look at this app, you should !  I use it everyday, and keep wowing the people I support.

Here is a great starting point..

http://apex.oracle.com/i/index.html