tip-of-the-week using your standby for so much more

Topics about Databases, Backups, Tuning, Architecture, Systems Management, etc etc.

bgrenn

tip-of-the-week using your standby for so much more

Post by bgrenn »

If you are using a physical standby database in your environment, you can take advantage of this database for other items.  First remember if this is your DR site, using your standby for other items may increase your recovery time.

To accomplish this open up your standby for write, and then recover it from before this point. NAS snapshots makes this a breeze.

These are the types of things a standby can useful for.

1) Testing a migration.  I reorganized the main table in my database by repartitioning it.. To test my plan and get realistice timings, I ran against the standby a week before the "real" migration.  I worked out the kinks, and gave the customer a very realistic timeline.

2) Gather statistics.  Part of migration was running statistics on the newly partitioned table. I was able to export these statistics, save them, and import them into the newly reorganized database.  This saved at least 4 hours of time that would have been spent gathering statistics.

3) Any other maintenence.. index creations.. table rebuilds etc.

For some organizations, and customers... Using a standby database for this type of use severly limits the risk when making major changes offseting the risk of a DR happening while you are using the standby.
bgrenn

Post by bgrenn »

For those of you who heard Tom Kyte speak today, he talked about opening up you physical standby, then flashing it back and putting it back in recovery. The above items are even more feasable using this 11g feature.